This is a picture of my computer monitor at work.
Taped to it and just below it are some reminders.
- My calling is sure. (A reminder to me when I start to feel discouraged. God has called me to pastoral ministry, and He will bring it about in His timing.)
- He is not expecting me to be perfect – He is expecting me to be available. (From a Leading and Loving it online conference a couple of years ago. Helps with my perfectionism and over scheduling.)
- Change me. (A prayer I am praying this year, because I want to be changed into the person that God wants me to be.)
- Love is a deep desire to promote the well-being of others. Dan J. (My favorite definition of love.)
- Show me your ways, O Lord, teach me your paths; Guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are God my savior, and my hope is in you all day long. Psalm 25:4-5 (A verse I pray often as I learn to follow Christ more and more.)
- God-centered living is characterized by: Confidence in God; Dependence on God and His ability and provision; Life focused on God and His activity; Humbleness before God; Denying self; Seeking God’s perspective in every circumstance; Holy and Godly living. Henry Blackaby, Experiencing God. (Reminders to me of what it means to follow God wholeheartedly.)
- 5 Statement Pledge of Faith: 1. God is who He says He is; 2. God can do what He says He can do; 3. I am who God says I am; 4. I can do all things through Christ; 5. God’s word is alive and active in me. I’M BELIEVING GOD! Beth Moore, Believing God (A reminder to me why I can and do choose to believe God.)
When I was growing up, I remember my mom having index cards in various places around the house with scripture on them. I guess this is my version of that. I think it is important to keep the important things in front of us, and for me, that means putting them down on paper and literally keeping it in front of me. I spend a huge portion of my day sitting at my desk looking at my computer screen. By putting these important reminders right there in front of me, it almost guarantees that I will see and read them at least once a day.
Are the notes pretty? Not necessarily. Three of them are ripped pieces of paper. Four of them are my scribbles. I have had to add tape to the back of the sticky-notes to keep them sticking to the monitor. But that isn’t the point. The point is to remind me of the things that the Lord has taught and continues to teach me.
These are the ones that are most important to my life right now. There have been others in the past and I am sure that there will be more in the future, but these are the reminders for now.
How do you keep the things you are learning in front of you?